Friday, March 23, 2012

Racing

It's official. I have done more road racing this year than I did all last year. Well, that's not quite right, but it's close. 

The first race of the season was San Dimas. I have never done that race before, but I liked it and I ended up 4th overall. Not bad for "damaged goods".  I'm pleasantly surprised at my early season fitness. The last time I raced a stage race, in Aspen, suffered like a dog every day. I guess that's the difference between 6 weeks vs. 6 months of training.

 The down side of San Dimas--in our host house we were sardines.
 



The good side of San Dimas? There was a big breakfast bowl to prepare my belly for the Full Gas road race.

Then it was on to Redlands. I have to admit, when I got to the host house and unpacked my bags I got a little emotional. The last time I shuffled on the floor packing or unpacking a bag in this very room, I had a cast on my arm after 4 days in the hospital post 'bow surgery. At that time, I never thought I would be in Redlands again. I gave Anne the bed as the last time I slept in that bed with with the cast, and I took the "window bed". I love the window bed!
  
I got a little bit of redemption, yesterday, in the TT. 3rd. I have never podiumd in the TT here before. I'll admit, that felt good. I guess you could say I'm "back". What makes it even more special is last year, at this time, I was 100% sure I was quitting after the season.



Tomorrow is the crit. The sight of the 'bow breaking crash.

I'm actually excited about racing tomorrow. Thanks to that crash, I'm back here more motivated and excited than ever.